Friday 24 February 2012

My Inspiration for Crowning Glory

The inspiration for Crowning Glory came from my own experience of being Natural for approximately 10 years and the growing awareness conversations about black hair. There has been far more openness on the topic in recent years and even celebrities are ditching weaves and perms for a more natural look. 


I want to create an interactive forum for people with naturally kinky hair or chemically altered hair to share opinions and questions. It will also be a place to share product information, healthy hair care regiments and manageability tips. By engaging naturals and those interested in learning more about natural hair benefits, I hope to challenge prevailing beauty ideals and stigmas that present Kinky hair as a negative and ugly other; and instead, put forth the idea that "good hair" is healthy hair; not particularly straighter hair.  


I am a currently a Public Relations student, and for the first time in a long time I have some anxiety about how my hair might be representing me in a world that seems to be used to a more sleek idea of professionalism. I plan to represent companies and organizations one day and believe my natural hair should not be a barrier to success. I will us this forum to find out if my assumption is correct.

I've looked to my Facebook friends for some answers, check out the next post for further details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment