Friday 24 February 2012

An Interview with My Natural Inspiration, Kim







What do you do? 
I work in communications for a large international development NGO

How long have you been natural? 
I've been natural for 13 years.

Why did you decide to go natural? I went natural because relaxers were damaging my hair and because I was spending too much money. Mainly, I was tired of trying to conform to a beauty standard that had nothing to do with my heritage.

What was the initial feedback/ attitudes towards your hair change? Feedback was mixed. I got a lot of positive feedback from people (both men and women) from races other than my own. Blacks (both men and women), for the most part did not understand my choice and some went as far as insulting it.

Have these opinions changed over time?
What are current opinions?  
The opinions have changed greatly over time! I've noticed that natural hair is now trendy amongst Black women, so both men and women of African descent are embracing it. Their attitudes are far more positive.
 
Would you perm your hair again?   No, I would never perm again. Going natural was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Do you feel less attractive? I feel more attractive with natural hair than I did before because I feel more confident. I also feel like I get more attention because I stand out. In addition, I tend to attract the kind of guys that would be more my type (conscious).

Has your hair change caused any professional Barriers or issues? Actually, no. Because I work in the field of International development, I blend right in. People in my field tend to be more concerned with deeper matters. Less with the superficial. It may be different in the corporate world...



No comments:

Post a Comment