Friday 24 February 2012

My Interview with Afrobeautyful's Fiana


What do you do?
My name is Fiana, affectionately known as Fi or Fifi. I am a Psychoeducational Consultant better known as a School Psychologist for a local school board. I also have an initiative that I’ve started called Approach2link where I plan events that create approachable opportunities and share tips on how to be more approachable or how to approach someone via twitter @approach2link

How long have you been natural?
This will be my ninth year since returning to my natural hair. I did it at a time when it wasn’t as popular as it is now. Only a few people were doing it and most people considered them to be brave, so I guess I was one of the brave ones. Check youtube post -> http://youtu.be/N2VLAfLskfI

Why did you decide to go natural?
I noticed the thickness of my hair began to decline. I didn’t like how my ponytails were getting smaller and smaller so I decided to go natural. It wasn’t a hard decision for me because I rather have healthy hair then long stringy hair. I was always like that even when I had relaxed hair.

What was the initial feedback/attitudes towards your hair change?
I received a lot of negative feedback in the beginning, fortunately it wasn’t coming from my immediate family. However, I remember one time at church when returning home from being away at school, a church member who never even met me before came up to me and said blatantly that she did not like my hair.

Have these opinions changed over time? What are current opinions?
More and more people are accepting of natural hair now then when I started. I get a lot of compliments and encouraging words to keep my hair this state. I still get some negative comments here and there especially when I wear my hair out i.e. blow-dried twist-out but the positive comments trumps those negative ones. I tend to be mindful of when I chose to where my hair my out because it does draw a lot of attention.

Would you perm your hair again? If it was permed
I would not perm my hair again. I find my hair to be more healthy and I can do so much more with my hair. If I want it straight I can just press it or wear a weave but this last year and a half, I haven’t even thought about pressing it. I love my big hair and the waves I get when I pull my hair back.

Do you feel less attractive?
To be honest, I did feel a little insecure in the initial stages of my natural hair journey. Mainly because I was so different than the majority of the girls and a lot of the times I would be the only person with natural hair in the room. When natural hair wasn’t so popular I use to feel that I didn’t get as much attention as the girls who had straight hair. Now I feel like I get as much attention and sometimes even more. I guess the men just needed to jump on the band wagon.

Has your hair changed caused any professional barriers or issues? It is a sign of unprofessionalism?
I don’t think my texture of hair has created any barriers, however, I noticed that certain hairstyles may not be appropriate depending on the setting. For instances, big hair styles. This appears to be inappropriate for any hair texture no matter the race. Most professions accept their employees wearing they hair pulled back whether it is kinky, curly, braided, dreaded or straight. The texture of hair is not an issues but the style of choice is. Check youtube post -> http://youtu.be/93eqA3P_LxQ




No comments:

Post a Comment