Friday 24 February 2012

The Professionalism Dilemma & Your Advice


There is a major event coming up that will allow me to interact with the top professionals of the field I’m working towards entering. I am still a student and don’t want any chance of coming off unprofessional. Should I weave my hair to make sure that I present an overall (traditional idea of a) polished look?

I asked some Facebook friends the above question, and below is the advice I received. Be sure to add your opinion as well.

Imoan advised: YES, because i care about you please do that (weave it) you will have an easier time and have a better response.

Delectable Dar advised: If you don't feel comfortable going in to the event with natural hair I should suggest you weave it. They will be looking at your overall appearance yes, but they will also be looking at your confidence and how you carry yourself. Do what you need to do to show that to them.

Kim’s Advice: Tennille, I would go natural for the event. I think it's better to show the real you than to show a version of you that is 'unnatural' (pardon the pun). It's all in the way you carry and conduct yourself. There are thousands of people with natural hair working in their desired profession. At the end of the day, you can't keep talent down. Why fit in when you could stand out?

Kathy’s Perspective: I personally think that if you feel confident in your choice to be natural, it will come off that way in any situation. The barriers that naural hair has are all routed in racism. Our kinky curly hair is no less professional than a brunette or blond, it is the way we were created. If you weave to fit in, to me, it still sends the message that we want to assimilate and cover what is not good enough in order to please those in "higher positions". Mind you I am not saying that we will not encounter these barriers when we choose to be natural, because it is what we want, we still live in the society we live in, and have to deal with the issue within this society, but we just have to decide for ourselves if we feel the need/strength/etc to stand up and accept what comes with our beliefs whether it be positive or negative.

Narkie’s Answer: As far as you weaving it...it's all about your comfort. You can style your hair anyway as long as it is looks put together it will be fine. You want who you are and what you have in your brain to represent you.

Ranelle’s Advice: -Honestly I would say thats your call. I personally believe that you can still be professional and that your resume needs to and can do the talking for you but at the same time I can most certainly understand the hesitiation that you may be coming off differently. It's so tricky. I feel like you shouldnt have to hide who you are and your hair doesnt make you any less or any better of a worker. There's so many resources out there to help you put together professional natural hairstyles so I think you would be fine.

Fiana’s take: Tennille, You should wear your hair natural! You are doing a blog talking about natural hair J. If you need help choosing a style for the event let me know :).

Here is a video Fiana made addressing her own professionalism concerns:

No comments:

Post a Comment